Sunday 16 July 2017

End of week 1

We've been here a week already! It has fairly flown past, and it helps when the weather is as good as it was today.  As the weather forecast had predicted, hardly a cloud in the sky all day long. I was up at before 6.00am this morning, for some reason unable to sleep, and at that point when I looked out, the lake was actually misty, but as I sat watching it, the mist cleared as the sun grew stronger and ever higher in the sky.
By the hot-tub this afternoon...
Taking a break from swimming to relax for a while reading...
The sun made the lake warmer today - and Keith loved it! (So did everyone else too!)
So, it was a day of sunbathing for us all. Keith enjoyed hours of swimming again, and the water temperature was up 2C from at any point in the past week! No wonder he enjoyed it so much!
At one point this afternoon, when it was especially calm, I decided to have a second try out with my drone. I had tried a few mini-flights three or four days ago, and today I wanted to take it above the trees and out a bit over the lake and back. I can laugh about it now, but it all went horribly wrong as the drone drifted out over the lake and didn't seem to be responding to the repeated attempts from me to return it to base! Sandy kept his eye on it as it flew away to the far side of the lake, crashed into trees and fell into the lake. He was immediately into the water swimming as fast as he could across the lake and I followed in the boat, rowing furiously. We both agreed it was lost as we approached the other side, but incredibly shortly afterwards, I spotted it in among some reeds, and although it had hit the water, it was above the waterline and we rescued it. We brought it home wet, but I think once it has had a day or so to dry out, it should be ok, as all the controls seemed still to be working fine.
I think I need to play about with it on a big field for the moment...!
 That's Olivia diving into the lake, taken by me at the house!
And on the platform...
Tomorrow we take Anna's family back down to Lahti and their train home. That's in the evening, so it'll be late by the time we get home. Then on Tuesday, we head over to Varkaus to see our old friends Jyrki and Mari and their boys - I can hardly believe it's already 10 years since we started out working together! And that evening, we will also head to Varkaus speedway stadium, for a Finnish speedway league match!
Anna's mum and dad.
She's fit, isn't she? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment